Beef & Mushroom Mini Pies
- 500 g Beef mince
- 200 g Mushrooms - sliced
- 1 Large brown onion - finely diced
- 3 Garlic cloves - chopped
- 50 g Butter
- 50 g Gravy powder
- 100 g AdVital powder
- 500 g Water
- 20 g Rosemary - dried
- 20 g Thyme - dried
- 30 g Cornflour
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Packet of Short crust pastry (for the Pie Bases)
- 1/2 Packet of puff pastry (for the Pie Lids)
- 3 Eggs ( whisked for egg wash)
- In a large based Saucepan, melt the butter & fry the onions for 10 minutes until golden brown, add the garlic & fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms & fry for a further 10 minutes on medium heat, add the dried herbs & stir.
- Add the beef mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, fry it off until it has all browned nicely.
- Add half of the water & scrape the bottom of the pan to remove anything that has stuck, this will give great flavour to the finished product.
- With the other half of the water, whisk in the gravy powder & cornflour, add this to the pan, season with salt & pepper, turn the heat to low & cook for 30-40 minutes until the sauce has thickened, stir through the AdVital at the end.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temp.
- Using a ring cutter, cut out your desired sizes for the pastry, remembering it will shrink, so make it bigger than you think it will be!
- Spray a 12x4 part muffin tray with spray oil, then gently press the short crust pastry discs into the tins, bake at 180 for 15 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, fill the empty shells with the pie mix.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut the desired size with the puff pastry, place it on top and press the edges to completely seal the mixture inside.
- Whisk the eggs together & brush the top with egg.
- Place on a tray & bake at 200°c for 12-15 minutes until the puff pastry has puffed up & golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the bench for 20 minutes (If you can!)